Pets traveling with a passenger
Pets are allowed in the cabin on the Saab 340 aircraft only, provided they meet sizing requirements. Pets are not allowed in the cabin on the Twin Otter aircraft, however, we are happy to place them, load permitting, in the aft luggage compartment in a Hard-Sided Kennel. Seaborne will not accept checked pets in Soft-Sided Kennels. When traveling with a pet, please mention to the Reservations Agent at time of booking. Please note: Due to US Customs and Immigration regulations, Seaborne is unable to transport pets without accompanying owners or caretakers to/from Puerto Rico or International Destinations.
To transport your pet in the cabin or as checked luggage or cargo the following fee will apply: $100 One Way
Customers with pets traveling as checked luggage are required to present a valid health certificate.
- 100-200 series kennels strongly recommended
- Weight must be less than 70 lbs total
- Kennels other than 100-200 size and weighs over 70 lbs cannot be guaranteed passage as it must be determined on a case by case basis if the kennel can be safely lifted and placed in the aft compartment. Handling fee for oversize/weight kennels will be $200 each way
- Dimensions of aft compartment in the seaplane/airshuttle is 4 ‘ wide and 3’1/2″ tall
- We cannot guarantee same flight transport but will make all efforts to do so
- All kennels must meet the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) regulations. The USDA rules state that the kennel must:
- Have enough room for your pet to stand and sit erect without the head touching the top of the container and turn around and lie in a natural position
- Constructed out of rigid plastic, wood, metal or material of comparable strength with solid roofs. No cardboard, welded mesh, wire mesh, wicker, collapsible or folding materials
- Free of wheels. If the kennel has wheels, they have to be removed or made inoperable (applies to wheeled kennels only)
- Have functional handles on the kennel’s exterior to prevent tilting and any direct contact with the animals
- Be adequately ventilated. The total ventilated areas must be a minimum of 16 percent of the total surface area, including the door and three remaining sides
- Leak-proof, escape-proof and the door must fasten securely, but not lock, allowing personnel to open in case of emergency
- Be secured by the shipper with releasable plastic sip-ties attached to all four corners of the door when possible. These zip-ties must be hand removable without the use of tools
- Label kennel with the words “Live Animal” in green letters at least 1 inch tall on the crate’s top and on at least one side
- Mark with “this end up” or directional arrows on at least 2 sides indicating a kennel’s correct position
- Must be clean, with no offensive odors and contain some type of bedding, either shaded paper or towels, to absorb and “accidents.” The use of straw, hay or wood shavings is prohibited
- Contain two dishes (one for food and one for water) attached to the inside of the kennel door which must be easily accessible to agents with our opening the kennel door
- Display feeding and watering instructions, the last time the animal was offered food and water, along with a supply of packaged food (in clear bag only) attached to the outside of the container or attach written instructions from an accredited veterinarian to not feed or water the animal. The animal must have been offered food or water with four hours before drop off at cargo. These instructions should be fixed to the top of the kennel.
- Display the shipper and consignee information (name, street address and phone number) fixed to the top of the kennel together with the feeding and watering instructions.
- Seaborne will not accept animals as checked baggage during extreme weather, if at any point (origin/transit/destination) during the animal’s trip the high temperature for the day is forecast to be above 85 °F (29.4 C) (no exceptions to the temperature restriction)
- Seaborne reserves the right to refuse live animals as checked luggage and as cargo if the animal’s health is in question and/or if the health of the animal may be jeopardized by extreme conditions.
- Seaborne will not check live animals on connections to other airlines. However, the passenger may claim animal in connection point and re-check the animal to its final destination.
- All kennels must also have the size to be loaded upright in the aircraft bin as required by the Animal Welfare Act and the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Live Animal Regulations.
*Pet embargo to/from these destinations:
The well being of your pet is important to us. Seaborne Airlines processes a high volume of both passengers and checked baggage at various destinations. This results in space constraints in the aircraft’s cabin and baggage compartment. Pets are not permitted to travel in the cabin or as checked baggage on flights to or from St. Kitts, Nevis. Dominica and the Dominican Republic.
Seaborne Airlines will not accept pets presented for shipment to or from St. Kitts, Nevis, Dominica and the Dominican Republic.
• Travelers with tickets issued prior to 6/17/2014 for destinations listed above with confirmed pet reservations will be honored for travel through September 3rd, 2014. No new Reservations
This policy does not apply to service animals.
Pets traveling without a passenger, as cargo
Pets can travel as cargo on Seaborne flights unaccompanied. Please see FastPak Freight rates for the most-to-date allowances for cargo weight and pricing. If your pet does not travel with you we will maintain full communication to ensure safe and expedited delivery.
Rooster/Chicken Service Fee
Roosters/Chickens that are transported to/from Puerto Rico from all destinations will be accessed a service fee of $75.00 per rooster/chicken each way. Please note all flights are limited to 2 roosters/chickens per flight.
Animal Breed Restrictions
Seaborne will not accept snub-nosed or pug-nosed dogs and cats as checked luggage.
Domestic Flights: $75.00
International Flights: $125.00
Bike Service Fees
Any passenger traveling with a bike from Puerto Rico, Vieques or the BVI to any Seaborne destination will be charged a non-refundable handling fee of $100.00 one way.
Any passenger traveling with a bike strictly between St. Croix to St. Thomas will be charged a non-refundable handling fee of $50.00 one way.